My theme this year is "To Be Prepared" - ntopice the Divine Passive - It is God who prepares us. Anyhow, week 1 follows:
Advent Midweek 1
December 5, 2007
â€œTo Be Prepared: People Who Need Comfort
St. John Lutheran Church
Rev. Wade R. Mattsfield
Theme based on an idea by Arden W. Mead
Isaiah 40:1-2 (1) Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. (2) Speak unto the heart of Jerusalem, proclaim unto her that he warfare is full, that her iniquity is accepted, that from the hand of Yahweh she has taken double in all her sins
Goal: That the hearers take comfort in Jesus advents â€“ in time, in the Lordâ€™s Supper and on the last day.
In Nomine Jesu
Introduction: Advent has always been a time of preparation.
A. Even our society in this day still uses this time before Christmas to prepare.
1. How many of you have yet to finish your shopping list?
2. And then we need to clean the house and put up all the decorations.
3. There are parties to prepare for and attend, programs to work on, and TV Christmas specials to watch.
4. There is a lot of preparing to do.
B. In the church, we take this time to prepare for our Lord.
1. If you paid attention to the Psalm as we read it, but it was very instructive./Psalm 24 opens our eyes to what it takes.
a. The Psalmist asked, â€œWho shall ascend the hill of the Lord and who shall stand in his holy place?
b. He answers, â€œHe who has clean hands and a pure heart.â€